Monday, February 22, 2010

what is left of my innocence






I originally intended for this piece to be a large bowl with four deer busts on it. I had not worked with my new recipe for clay however, and it is not good with small detail, I also have not worked with such small detail as the antlers before. So, this was an exploration on many levels.
When the bowl came out of the kiln and one side had popped off, and still other parts were not as I had expected them to turn out, it was hard at first to accept the piece.

After leaving the bowl and coming back to it after a couple months, I like it again and invite the viewer to question if this piece really is ruined. I mean, sure it is unevenly sided, but the idea is still clear and most of it is still there. that is why I named it, what is left of my innocence. I wanted to address that the piece is missing parts, but most of it is still there.

No comments:

Post a Comment